- Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy - http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com -
Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Cookies Recipe
Posted By Susan On January 13, 2012 @ 10:57 am In Baking,Breakfast and Brunch,Cookies and Brownies,Grains,Healthy Eating,Recipes | 32 Comments
Ever since Mini SGCC’s accident, it has been a crazy, hectic time around here! Most of my time has been filled up with driving her back and forth to school, taking her to doctor’s appointments, physical therapy and everywhere else she needs to go. In the midst of all that, Mr. SGCC had the audacity to develop pneumonia. Can you imagine? What nerve! And, let’s not forget that we also had to get through the Holidays, which managed to pop up at the most inconvenient time. Just between you and me, I feel like I’m living in a house of cards.
Cooking these days has consisted of throwing things together and dropping them on the table. Trust me, there hasn’t been much I’ve wanted to share with you. Those leisurely days of simmering, braising and roasting as I snapped photos along the way seem like a distant memory. I know that eventually I’ll be able to get back into my normal routine, but it ain’t happening anytime soon. And, boy is it frustrating!
One interesting thing that I did manage to make are these healthy and delicious breakfast cookies. They’re made with whole wheat flour, and are chock full of great breakfast-type ingredients like rolled oats, Cheerios, peanut butter and bananas. To keep them a little healthier, I only used a minimal amount of butter, adding moisture with mashed bananas and applesauce. Of course, the benefit of that was probably canceled out when I decided to add chocolate chips. Oh well. It’s the thought that counts… isn’t it?
Breakfast cookies are a great alternative to packaged granola bars. They’re self-contained and portable, so you can grab one on the go. They’re also full of wholesome, all natural ingredients, which you can customize according to your own tastes. Plus, who doesn’t love the idea of having cookies for breakfast?
These breakfast cookies are very easy to make. All you do is mix together your wet ingredients, mix together your dry ingredients, then put them all together and bake. The cookies are dense and chewy, with a little crunch from the cereal. I’m not saying that they’ll ever edge out a gooey glazed doughnut as my breakfast of choice, but they’re a satisfying alternative. And honestly, at 6:00 in the morning, I could chew on a cardboard box and not really know the difference!
Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Cream butter, brown sugar, banana and applesauce together in an electric mixer until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and mix until combined.
3. Add vanilla and peanut butter and mix well.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
5. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix just until combined.
6. Stir in rolled oats, cheerios and other add-ins.
7. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop out 1/4 cup portions and place two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat. Press down on each cookie to slightly flatten. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
8. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
Cookies will keep up to three days in an airtight container, or up to one month in the freezer.
Makes approximately 18 hefty cookies.
Article printed from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy: http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com
URL to article: http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com/2012/01/13/peanut-butter-and-banana-breakfast-cookies-recipe/
URLs in this post:
Copyright © 2009 StickyGooeyCreamyChewy.com.