From the first moment I saw these sticky, gooey, creamy, chewy gems  on Michelle’s site, Brown Eyed Baker , I knew that I would have to make them. There wasn’t a doubt in my mind. And, of course I also knew that I would have to share them with you, in case you missed them over at Michelle’s. How could I not? If I didn’t, I couldn’t live with myself, because these Salted Peanut Chews are that good. Mind-numbingly good, actually. They deserve to be shared with the world – for the good of all mankind!
Think of Salted Peanut Chews as a sort of sophisticated riff on Rice Krispies Treats. I know I just posted another Rice Krispies Treats-related recipe , but I happen to currently be obsessed with them. Besides, these are very different – and they actually contain Rice Krispies. They’re layered bars with a buttery, brown sugar base, covered with oozey, melted marshmallows and finished off with a sinfully rich peanut butter, rice krispies and salted peanut topping. Need I say more?
The recipe for these Salted Peanut Chews is very straightforward and the bars are a snap, crackle and pop to make. In fact the most difficult part is waiting the forty-five minutes it takes for them to set up in the fridge. I ended up cutting into mine early. But, do as I say and not as I do – and wait the whole time.
Do yourself a favor and make your own Salted Peanut Chews as soon as possible. Everyone you know will thank you!
For the Base:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
For the Topping:
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all of the base ingredients, except the marshmallows, in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until crumbly. Press the mixture firmly in the bottom of an ungreased 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden. Immediately sprinkle the marshmallows over the base. Bake another 2-3 minutes, just until the marshmallows begin to puff up. Set on a wire rack to cool while you prepare the topping.
- Heat a 3-quart saucepan over medium-low heat and add the corn syrup, butter, peanut butter chips and vanilla. Continue stirring until the chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and mix in the rice krispies and peanuts.
Immediately spoon the warm topping over the marshmallows and spread into a thick, even layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes. When chilled, cut into bars.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Makes approximately 30 bars.