Let me start right off by saying that no, that is not the official name of these cookies – but it should be. Their official name is Peanut Butter Corn Flake Balls. That’s a decent enough name. It is accurately descriptive. However, it comes nowhere close to describing the flat out, mind-blowing awesomeness of these sticky, gooey, creamy, chewy little blobs of edible bliss! How did they end up being called HolyCrapTheseAreAmazing Cookies, you ask? Well, I’ll tell you. It’s because that is pretty much what everyone says the first time they bite into one of these decadent little guys.
The first time I ever ate one was when my daughter was in the second grade. Each year, from the time she was in kindergarten through the fifth grade, I had the dubious distinction of being the Room Mother for her class. A Room Mother is a mom who is in charge of taking care of all of the “extras” for the class that the teacher doesn’t have the time or inclination to do, like collecting for the teacher’s gifts, lining up chaperones for field trips and of course, organizing class parties.
So, I ate a cookie. As my eyes were rolling back into my head, I groaned out loud and spontaneously exclaimed, “Holy Crap! These are amazing cookies!” From then on, they have elicited the same response from everyone I’ve served them to.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 jar (18 oz ounce) peanut butter, crunchy or smooth (I like creamy.)
- 6 cups corn flakes
- 3 oz good quality chocolate of your choice (I used Scharffen Berger Semisweet 62%.)
- Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and stir until the mixture comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and stir in the whole jar of peanut butter. Mix well.
- Add corn flakes to a large bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over corn flakes and mix well, taking care to coat all of the corn flakes.
- With a tablespoon or cookie scoop, scoop out and form into 1-2 inch balls, depending on your preference, and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Put the chocolate in a small bowl and melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies.
- When cooled, eat these cookies with reckless abandon. Be careful, though. We wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt!